Learn About Lighting
If you are planning on designing or redoing the lighting in your home, you may be attempting to complete this as a DIY project. However, the best way to ensure that the lighting in your house is done right is to hire a lighting professional. While you may believe that this will be too expensive, a lighting professional can actually save you both time and money by bringing his or her skills and expertise to the project.
Why Hire a Lighting Professional?
- Technology: The first reason to hire a lighting professional is that he or she brings knowledge of different types of technology. There are many kinds of lights and lighting solutions out there, and a professional will know what technologies are best and most cost-effective.
- Options: In addition, lighting professionals bring the benefit of options. Without a lighting professional, there are hundreds of lighting solutions out there that you may simply be unaware of.
- Skills: Lighting professionals also bring a specific skill set and the accompanying knowledge to the table. They have received education about lighting, which includes optics, electricity, codes, environmental issues, the art of design, and more.
- Savings: You may assume that a lighting professional will make your project cost more; however, this is often untrue. A lighting professional can save you money by knowing what methods are most cost-effective, finding fixtures that are less expensive, keeping you from making costly mistakes, and working within your budget.
Factors to Take Into Consideration
- Size: When choosing whether or not to hire a lighting professional, the scope of the design is one factor you should take into consideration. For larger projects, such as a new home lighting design project, a professional is definitely necessary.
- Budget: In addition to size, budget is another important factor in this decision. As discussed above, hiring a lighting professional can actually be a money-saver. Get quotes from a variety of professionals first.
- Skills: Last but not least your own skills are a crucial factor in this choice. If you are experienced in lighting design, by all means, DIY. However, if you have no experience with home lighting, you should hire a professional.
Choosing a Lighting Professional
When choosing a lighting professional, always look for professional qualifications to ensure that you are hiring someone who can get the job done right. First, find out if he or she is a member of the International Association of Lighting Designers. You should also check to see if your potential lighting professional has an LC (Lighting Certification) or CLC (Certified Lighting Consultant). Finally, ask him or her about past lighting education and participation in any lighting design awards programs.